16 October 2005

Yesterday, while I was sitting at the bus stop at Elephant & Castle on the way to the gym, minding my own business doing Sudoku, a large black woman came and sat next to me. A few seconds later, having obviously decided that I was blocking her view of oncoming buses, she got up and moved to the other side of me. But as there wasn't enough room on the bench, she decided to move me out of the way by practically sitting on top of me. Automatically, my first inclination was to scooch over, but then I thought, "Wait a minute, I was here first", so I sat firm. So I'm sitting there squashed up shoulder-to-shoulder with this obnoxious stranger. Then she tried to bump me over with her big bottom, but I wouldn't budge. So then she lights up and tries to move me out of the way with her hideous cigarette smoke, and then (!!), elbows me. At which point, I'm about to look up from my Sudoku and snap ungraciously at her. But then, this smarmy guy comes up and sits on the other side of me and says in a lascivious manner, "Hi! Good morning", whilst smirking horribly.

GOOD GOD! Can't you people leave me to do my Sudoku in peace?

Fortunately, the bus came just then before I could slug them both with my gym kit...

Labels:


Comments:
yes people can be incredibly rude. What on earth makes anyone think that they have the God-given right to sit anywhere they please even if someone is already in that spot. Were they brought up by savages? Or not brought up at all? Or taught that the only law is the law of pushing anyone around who is smaller than you? (But they are still quite happy to take advantage of other people's good manners, which prevents bigger stronger men from pushing their fat arses off the bench and into the street?) God, that drives me mad.
Mind you I sat on someone on the bus the other day. But that was only because she was selfishly taking up two seats on a crowded bus and did not automatically move up when I went to sit down.
I also tend to push past people who are having conversations on staircases, narrow corridors etc thus impeding the traffic flow (unless of course they look like homicidal maniacs). I figure if they are inconsiderate enough to block everyone's way with their stupid conversation, they do not deserve the consideration of my politely asking them to make way. Civility is a two-way street.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?