19 July 2008

Today I did the Lotus position for the first time in about 10 years. It may not seem like much but, man, I felt elated. My ankles hurt, I held it for about 2 seconds but I did it. And I did it again later in the day. It’s the little things...

The movie du jour was Red Cliff Pt 1, John Woo’s historical epic. My favourite Chinese actor, Tony Leung Chiu Wai, was in it playing Viceroy Zhou. There was a lot of fighting and blood and gore (unsurprisingly for John Woo). But there was also great characterisation, a feisty but unannoying princess, some nice dialogue and a plot that was simple but you can just see is going to turn into great tragedy and betrayal in Pt 2. And it sure was epic. Can’t wait to see the next instalment.

Did a yoga and upper body workout today, giving my poor calves some respite. Then swimming with sister and family at the Lake Club. I did my auntily duty by reviving the old game of Marco Polo and handing it down a generation. Also, showed off with a graceful (in my head) exhibition of diving, somersaulting and standing on my hands in the pool. For good form, did a couple of laps and then between us tried to drown my youngest niece in the cause of teaching her how to swim. Whilst I am gratified that I can still wear my swimming gear from when I was sixteen, I am not so happy to find that it is slowly disintegrating from the chlorine abuse over the years. A new outfit is in order I feel.

Today’s eating was roti canai (for the 3rd time this trip), chow kuay teow, grilled skate, rojak, nasi kandar, Ipoh fish ball soup, clams with chilli and garlic washed down with the company of my lovely family.

Tomorrow, off to a sunshiny beach paradise, for three days, staying in lovingly restored Malay kampung houses to celebrate my Dad's 70th birthday.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?