13 April 2008

I'm being coerced to write my blog.

So....

1. Went to New York ages ago. Ate in very good restaurant and so-so restaurant. I'm halfway through writing about very good one but we had the 10 course tasting menu, so I'm bracing myself - although BB says I don't need to write about every course.

The so-so restaurant was okay but didn't leap out at us and the waitress lied to my friend, P, who wanted their special churro-type dessert and was told it was sold out and then we blatantly saw the table next to us get four portions of it after we'd finished and paid the bill.

Our hotel, The Dylan, was not bad, cheap for New York and ideally placed for Midtown (right by Grand Central Station and 5th Avenue). It was also near an authentic diner which wasn't horribly touristy and pricey. The diner was sort of nearer the W Hotel around the corner on 7th I think. They were friendly, service was great and cheap, cheap, cheap. Apparently the diners are dying out due to rising rents. I hope ours is still there when we go back because it was much better than Pershing Square at Grand Central.

2. I've started in my new job. We're in lovely offices just off the Strand, near Chinatown, Covent Garden, my gym and cuts about 1/2 hour off my commute each way. Hurrah!

3. I have sciatica, tendonitis in both ankles, a dodgy knee, a bit of arthiritis in my big toe and very tight calf muscles. This could be because I have been to the dance class 5 times a week for the last 3 weeks. I think I have to swim all next week to let my legs rest a bit.

4. I listened to ChinesePod for 7 hours everyday for the last month before we got into our new offices. My Mandarin, I think, is better as a result. I wish I could listen to ChinesePod all day in the office.

5. Eek, I forgot - I have an audition tomorrow and I haven't got my outfit sorted out and it's nearly midnight.

6. We had Polish food for lunch today. I like beef stroganoff and pancakes.

7. We went to the China Now! exhibition at the V&A. I bought BB a soft toy AK-47 in camouflage fabric. He is now trying on all his army gear. I got a mug.

8. We ate at the restaurant in Whiteleys, which I've meant to try for ages. It was so-so. Chicken was dry apparently. The starters were good though.

9. Black Cherry, our local favourite haunt, does fantastic specials at the weekend. I've had the fish and chips, skate wing with capers and black pudding with poached egg. All good.

10. All the Chinese delivery places around East Dulwich seem to be closed on Sundays. I phoned 5 before we found one that was open. Obviously they make a good living from the good burghers of East Dulwich.

11. We ate minced pork that was about 10 days old from the local butcher which always has long queues outside it. It was perfectly good and didn't smell bad or release a lot of water. That is why there are long queues outside it all the time.

And that's all I can remember from the last month. Oh - I've played over 1000 games of Scrabulous on Facebook. That's how sad I am....

I was champion of the league I'm in in our first tournament though!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?