1 October 2007

We went to a very nice restaurant called The Forge in Covent Garden yesterday for my birthday. It's owned by the same people who run Le Café du Jardin on Wellington Street. The setting is just off Garrick Street on Floral Street, very quiet and tastefully decorated with bare brick and nicely judged turquoise leather upholstery.

They are having a £25 for 3 courses and glass of Kir Royale offer and it's very good value for money. I wanted to go because they had spaghetti vongole on the menu, but sadly they had changed their menu just before we went. So, I started with 3 Colchester oysters, followed by a massive Lancaster pork chop and an onion stuffed with chestnut stuffing. BB had an excellent haddock tempura and a retro reconstructed chicken Kiev bursting with garlic butter. The sides were roast potatoes cooked in goose fat and nice crunchy French beans. For pudding I had tarte tatin with vanilla ice cream, inspired by watching Saturday Kitchen, which came with a vanilla stick and apple crisp for decoration. BB had creme brulée liberally laced with Grand Marnier. It was all very good and we were the only people in the restaurant for most of the meal, so we had exemplary service. All in all very enjoyable indeed.

My boss and my best friend both gave me earrings for presents and were aghast to notice that I don't have pierced ears. Who doesn't have pierced ears these days, my boss did cry, as she went off to think again. BB's ma and grandma gave me the exact same birthday card. Either they are scarily alike or BB's ma buys the cards for both of them.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?