30 December 2006

Today has been quite eventful after a very quiet week. When I went to work on Wednesday I had a two hour lunch at the Cumberland Hotel near Marble Arch so I could view the rooms and negotiate rates with them. In return for promising to spend a sizeable amount of cash there in the coming year, I got lunch at Gary Rhodes' restaurant. And very nice it was too. Scallops with a lime lentil thing, grilled halibut with pickled lime potatoes and courgettes and a monster helping of tiramisu for dessert. I do like being fed well.

Yesterday I slept off all the food. We had lunch at The Palmerston down the road. BB had the Barnsley lamb chop with anchovy sauce and I had salt beef with a beetroot and horseradish puree. It was pretty good but the savoy cabbage accompaniment was a tad mushy. It was also expensive we thought.

Then today, we went down the road for brunch at the caff for a third of the price of yesterday's lunch. In the time we were gone, some pig bastard vandals broke the wing mirrors of two cars on our stretch of road. Fortunately, our car escaped but I just can't understand how bored someone can be that they get their kicks out of doing something so stupid. It makes me mad.

Now, I've just come back from meeting Aric from Chinesepod, his friend, Lis (who is a fellow Malaysian) and all the UK based Chinese podders who hauled ass up to Chinatown to meet and talk things Mandarin. It was a very affable gathering and we ended up eating of course. Embarrassingly, quite a lot of the chat revolved around films and the like that I've been in. Still, it was fun and they all seemed very nice. I think I can safely say that I spoke the least Mandarin of anyone there.

Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention but my Chinese teacher has gone to Germany for THREE months. How am I supposed to learn Mandarin at this rate?

Comments:
your job seems to be very very difficult and demanding. Should I report your employers to the European Commission for Human Rights?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?