3 June 2006

Laid Off

What a lot has happened since I got back to work. Thursday seemed uneventful. Spent much of the day catching up on e-mails, folk & gossip & the sample sale.

Then at about 16:00 got hauled into the boss' office to be told that, due to budgetary cuts, am being given the boot (as is my fellow temp, E, and other sundry hangers-on). Not really much of a surprise, except that I sort of expected it to happen a few months ago.

Well, I was sort of pleased as the politics and so forth has got so cruddy that I was pretty fed-up and didn't much want to stay on. Went to the gym that evening, got in conversation with someone there and told her my day. She said, 'Oh, what do you do?' and I said something about administrator, PA, blah, blah. She said, 'Oh, we're looking for a temp PA where I work.' She works somewhere where I've quite fancied working for a while - Google. So she gives me her card and I've sent her my CV and fingers crossed I might be working somewhere pretty cool before two weeks are out.

So, then I ask my ex-boss for a reference and she says, 'Sure, I'll give you a reference but I've got an opening for a temp PA also. Are you interested?'!!! Well, of course! So there's another opening.

And then, as I posted my CV online on an internet job search site, an agency phoned up to register me. And, E's partner is looking for temp DTP operators at her place paying a hefty sum. So, all looks very promising indeed.

In the meantime, I've tried making Meen Mooli (Goan fish curry) from a recipe I saw on a documentary on the plane back from Malaysia and daal. Found out that the local organic Indian shop sells onion paratha and fresh curry leaves which is extraordinarily useful. It turned out pretty well thought the daal was rather thick and tasted better the next day.

Also, been sleeping a lot.

Labels: ,


Comments:
If you get the google job see if you can finagle a google T-shirt for me
 
talk about as one door closes another door (or 4 or 5) opens!
 
I can probably finagle a Google T-shirt, maybe even without working for them.
 
Do you mind if I have to go to auditions/acting jobs sometimes?
 
Aren't you in HK? Commuting would be difficult I feel! Unless I can do stuff over the internet.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?