23 April 2006

A grim Sunday for St George today. It's all grey and drizzly. I am, however, glad to see that Liverpool has beat Chelsea and is in the FINALS of the FA Cup. Hurray! Go the Reds! Or whatever their nickname is.

I am exceedingly fed up with the snooker. It is perpetually on and seems to have been that way since the beginning of time. As we don't have all the luxuries of digital or satellite that severely reduces our television viewing pleasure.

Tried out The Bishop pub for lunch today. It was heaving and tables were hard to come by. We have never been, as BB usually retreats due to the smoke whenever we've tried in the past. I braved the nicotine haze to try their Colchester rock oysters, followed by organic half-a-chicken roast with bread sauce. The oysters were good - not much can go wrong there as long as they come with all the required condiments (shallots in vinegar, tabasco sauce and lemon) - I'm not a purist.

The roast was mediocre. You do get half a chicken as advertised but it's kind of difficult to eat when everything only just fits on the plate. The meat was tasty but a bit dry. The bread sauce tasted alright but wasn't hot and a bit gloopy. The potatoes and Yorkshire pud tasted old. The carrots and green beans were nice - not overcooked.

The beer selection looked interesting but I'm not sure I'd go back for the food. Perhaps it would be better not to go for the set roasts and go a la carte instead.

Notice that our swanky deli, East Dulwich Deli, has opened an eaterie somewhere in the depths of the premises. I was tempted for about 5 seconds to try it out until I saw the prices. Ch-ching! £6.95 for soup of the day with their own bread. I don't care if everything is organically grown using ancient, time consuming methods, sourced from a tiny village in the Outer Hebrides and made of gold. Sheesh! Sandwiches were £12.95 - at least. Ouch...! I'm all for supporting local businesses but until I get a better paid job or finally win the lottery, they'll have to depend on the wealthier inhabitants of Dulwich for their livelihood.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
Well, you can't strictly say a fan - as I'm really a fan of football. But if I were, Liverpool has been my team of choice since the days of Ian Rush.
 
I should have said "NOT really a fan of football".

It's a small world that you used to live in E Dulwich. It has come up in the world rather in the last few years.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?