11 March 2006

With reference to previous post on Caffé Nero, while I'm not one to encourage chain stores in East Dulwich, it does seem peculiar that no one is up in arms against all the chain betting stores, estate agents (of which there are gazillions) and the Somerfield. BB brought that point up. A valid point I feel. Nero is keeping a low profile I think - they probably realise something is afoot. Still, I guess the good citizens of East Dulwich will make the majority view known once it opens. As long as Starbucks doesn't muscle in on the high street, I guess we're good. Coffee is better at Nero anyway.

Had a big dinner with ex-boss at Cheyne Walk Brasserie on Thursday. It was the proper farewell dinner that we should have had about 6 weeks ago. It is a very nice restaurant near the river between Albert and Battersea Bridges. It's in Chelsea - a tad off the beaten track, in an area prone to muggings or so I'm told. Anyway, the restaurant is lovely.

There's a big grill in the middle of the room as you walk in with slabs of good meat glistening on the side. The Grill is definitely what you go there for. They have a great room upstairs to have drinks pre/post dinner with views of the river. The dining room is downstairs and all matchboarding in pale heritage type colours.

I shared a mixed platter of starters with H which was alright but not spectacular - all cold meats and cheese. I eyed E's escargot ravioli enviously until she gave me one. Main course was rack of lamb which was very tasty, and I was surrounded by everyone else's lobster, duck, leg of lamb and steak - all of which looked good. Just grilled au naturel with dips.

No time for dessert because dinner went on forever and was midnight before I got home. P, my ex-boss, gave us all presents and mine were all a 'red, heart theme'. I got some nice Clarins make-up brushes and a T-shirt with a diamante heart, proceeds of which go to a good cause. Very thoughtful indeed.

Had Nga Choi Kai Fan for lunch yesterday and bought new boss Nasi Lemak. He was very pleased. When he was in Malaysia his PA used to bring him curry puffs, ham yook jung, nasi lemak and roti.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
aha Malaysian connection. What was he doing in Malaysia and where was he - KL?
 
He worked with Guinness. Used to be with Allied Domecq which I believe does drinks and food and stuff. I guess must be KL. He goes back every year with his family to visit friends and said would move there in a second if offered a job there.
 
ah he is a man of taste and discernment. They always use to say in the bank that KL was the best posting in Asia-Pac for lifestyle. And it's not bad for your career either to go by former CEOs' subsequent careers.
 
Apparently Fatty Crab is his favourite restaurant.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?