7 February 2006

Have had the most stinking flu. Fortunately filming in Cologne was postponed due to much snow and script changes or I fear I may have died on the flight over - whilst infecting several unsuspecting Germans.

To cheer myself up, I am thinking about Chinese New Year celebratory meals - one which I cooked, the other cooked by a former Beijing Communist party chef (or so the restaurant would have us believe).

For homecooked dinner, we had steamed chicken with saltfish, lapcheong omelette, steamed fish with ginger/spring onions and stir fried siu pak choi. After that, some nien gou in egg. All very tasty, if I say so myself.

Restaurant meal was dim sum - har gau, siu mai, jiao ji, har cheong fun, char siu pau, nor mai gai, pak choi with belacan and a different variant of nien gou with coconut and peanuts on. They hadn't even cooked the nien gou, so it was unsatisfactorily ungooey, which I thought was the point. Otherwise, it was all very tasty though and they performed some complicated tea ceremony thing with our pots of tea which was quite nice.

Today's dinner was roasted chicken legs, salad, mash and gravy. And trifle for afters. Yum! All very recuperative food I'm sure.

Labels: ,


Comments:
last meal doesn't sound very Chinese! Somehow the phrase "cooked by a former Communist Party chef" doesn't conjure up images of sumptuous banquets - more like some curried grass eaten out of a tinplate in a ditch.

Hope weather improves by the time you get to Cologne and that filming is on a Monday, so that you can go for the weekend.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?