19 February 2006

Back from Cologne. It's not that beautiful a city. The Dom is very large and imposing but also black and semi-coated in scaffolding - as many cathedral buildings seem to be these days.

Still impressed by all things Germanic - everything runs on time - even the buses during rush hour, when you go to eat a bog standard cheap place you get far more than you bargained for and it's just all efficient and well thought out - and still cheaper than London.

Filming consisted of sitting round for 5 hours (unsurprisingly) and then 45 mins on set. They were very apologetic, as though having to hang around for hours is not the norm when shooting something. At least I had my own room and lots to eat. I brought the Times (for the crossword and Sudoku), Glamour magazine and crisps, water and chocolate brownies. After filming, the director gave a big spiel about how he had come to London to audition me and the part was much bigger and was cut (I didn't know that), and how he was really grateful that I had decided to do the part anyway as I was such a fantastic actress and how the crew had been very noisy and rowdy until I came on set, blah, blah, blah... and then I had to stand there while everyone applauded. I didn't know what to do except look like I wanted to sink threw the floor. It's all very strange.

On my day off before my flight back to Blighty, I went to the Claudius Therme and hung out with naked Germans. It's all very civilised with no nasty bods leering. Lots of hot mineral baths with water massage jets and was very relaxing. However, the baths were almost impossible to get to. I looked at the map and it looked like the best place to get off the U-Bahn was the Koeln Messe. But you can't actually cross the railway bridge there, so I had to walk right round back past the Messe and then all the way along a very deserted looking park (Rheinpark) by the river to get there. Was not unlike looking for the holy grail. Anyway, turns out there's a bus from Deutzbahnhof/Messe so fortunately didn't have to walk on the way back.

Whilst in Germany I had sausages, sauerkraut and kartoffelpuree with suess senf and Koelsch and a very good Japanese tonkatsu that came with rice and two vegetable side dishes of green beans and cabbage salad, with crispy tofu and green tea. I also bought some bargain boots for Euro 45. I was most chuffed - although the shop only took cash. If I had room in my bag I would have bought more shoes. Also, went to Starbucks as it was the only place open late and the cheesecake was not like the cheesecake what you get in London. It was very good and probably German. There was a mouse under a pouffe at the next table but I left it in peace.

At the moment am cooking sausage, cabbage, potato and chickpea soup for dinner (the sausage hot off the plane from Germany).

My agent called to see if I was interested in being in Billy Eliot - starting rehearsal tomorrow. Two drawbacks - I have to have a Northern accent and sing. Haven't heard back from them unsurprisingly.

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
The only drawback is slight historical tendency to try to reduce Western civilisation to a heap of smouldering ruins and efficiently throw you into a concentration camp if you get in their way.

That was very brave of you to go to the Baths on your own. I would have been too scared of being obliged to converse with the natives at some point.
 
I conversed muchly with the natives - I requested a massage appointment, bought all my meals, asked for directions and discussed the merits of brown boots vs brown/black boots with a shop assistant - all in German. I was mightily proud of myself.
 
Sob, wish I was in Germany. Very impressed with your German, especially since you've not lived there.
 
I can't even do any of those things in Cantonese! and I've been living in HK for 3 years!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?