8 January 2006

Have just finished reading A Short History of Tractors in Ukraine. Quite a good read but it strikes me, as it often does when reading a novel, that it takes so much effort to write a book. There's so much to think about, flesh out and tie together that it makes me tired trying to think about thinking about writing a book.

Another person is in the news for committing suicide despite having a seemingly perfectly happy life with no financial, personal or other worries. Someone who is very content in everyway and yet doesn't think life is worth carrying on with. The first person - a teenage girl on the South Coast somewhere actually wrote in her suicide note that she was very happy, loved her family and boyfriend and was really happy about her exam results (she was accepted by all her universities) but thought that as things couldn't get much better, she might as well die now. The thing is, no matter how bad things are or how good things are - I guess the end result is that you die whatever your circumstances, so maybe they're thinking - well what's the point of living out your life? It's a strange thing the human decision making process.

The 2nd half of the 2nd season of Battlestar Galactica has started. Watched it last night and it was so tense and gripping that I practically had heart palpitations. I'm not sure it's good for my health - but it's great.

Labels: ,


Comments:
I find that kind of thinking incredibly warped. The arrogance of judging the whole of life and what it has to offer you or what you might have to contribute to it and saying No to it all when you're a teenager who knows and has seen and experienced next to nothing.
Maybe you feel life is empty - so what? Go out and fill it up. Maybe you feel it has nothing more to offer you. So what? Why don't you go out and see what you have to contribute to it? It drives me mad that there are people who are desperate to live, who value life and are ill and have to leave it, and here is some snippy little teenager just kicking away, with such ingratitude and ignorance, something that is so precious.
 
The other person who committed suicide thought was a 52 year old successful lawyer from Rolls Royce with a 6-figure salary and lovely flat in Kensington and according to all friends and family was very happy and bubbly. Weird, huh?
 
annonymous lawyer?
 
I don't think anyone could accuse him of being very happy and bubbly!
 
it just goes to show that there is more to life than material possessions and even social well-being.
 
ah, but his blog might show his true self
 
Considering that he makes associates cry, I'm pretty sure they see his real self. Though of course that all depends on whether he's real at all!
 
My ladies' book club unanimously panned this book - wonder why?
 
I think I was probably being kind in that I didn't give up reading it through boredom like I did with the Will Self book that I got. It was okay.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?