5 December 2005

If I won the lottery I think I would go to the theatre a lot more. There are quite a lot of things I want to see and some that I think I ought to see. Also, I would get the dress that I have a bit of an obssession for at the moment. It's not expensive - just elusive.

The thing is - when you can't get something for whatever reason, then you train yourself not to want it. But is that necessarily a good thing? Because then you train yourself to stop having dreams and hopes and wishes instead of going through hellfire to get what you want and tell yourself that that's a good thing.

I suppose it depends on whether you want to be firmly rooted in this world or become a Zen Buddhist.

Comments:
I err towards the zen approach myself because I am lazy and looking ahead you can see that after going for the gusto for every thing that you wanted, you would find at the end that it was all a big waste of time.

However, theoretically speaking, I believe that this is the wrong approach to life. There is no point in taking the long view as in the long view we are all dead. Life is 100% about going for the gusto for stupid pointless things.
In my opinion, if it ever occurs to you to want something or to do something (as long of course as it does not hurt anyone else), then you should go ahead and get it/do it. That is in fact the whole point of life and it is positively irreligious/arrogant to do otherwise.
 
In short, get the dress. Go to the theatre. Work more/smarter to get the money to do the stuff you want - that was Churchill's motto.

Of course I do not do any of this myself.
 
Did Churchill say how to get the _time_ do do what you want after you work more ? :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?